VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: RECRUITMENT OF A SECURITY AGENT AT AU-SAFGRAD, OUAGADOUGOU, BURKINA FASO
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African states as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located at Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia. The Commission has specialized technical offices located in some of its Member States, among others is the specialized technical office for the promotion of agricultural research for development in semi-arid Africa (SAFGRAD), located in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts. The Commission of the African Union invites local applicants for the following position:
1. Post Post title: Security Guard
Post level: GSB8
Duty Station: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Immediate Supervisor: Finance and Administration Officer
2. Major duties and responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the Finance and Administration Officer of the Office, the Security Guard shall:
- Ensure physical security and safety of AU-SAFGRAD office premises and its staff members;
- Control the opening, closure and entry into the premises/buildings to ensure security of AU-SAFGRAD Office at large;
- Issue building passes as appropriate;
- Ensure that routine patrols are conducted to check security of buildings, personnel, equipment and adherence to rules and regulations;
- Gather all information related to the security of the Office, and report to supervisors in a timely manner in order to take appropriate action, Attend to visitors/guests and control of identification documents;
- Guard AU-SAFGRAD properties and control movements of persons within the office;
- Control movement of vehicles entering and leaving into the compound;
- Assist staff members with problems in the area of security and traffic accidents;
- Obtain comprehensive security information and produce background documents relating to incidents that affect safety and security;
- Provide support to and guide personnel in the performance of security services, including fire control and physical security of the premises;
- Liaise where necessary with designated host government security, safety and emergency officials as instructed by supervisors;
- Prepare and provide security briefings, written security advice and recommendations to the mission hierarchy;
- Produce incident based security and travel advisories;
- Prepare quarterly and other routine security reports;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by supervisors.
3. Educational Qualifications
Candidates should have completed a secondary school education (BEPC) and have relevant training in military or police procedures and self-defense techniques. A higher qualification will be an added advantage.
4. Work experience requirement
At least 5 years of security experience within a national or international security, police, military or fire brigade organization or in the security service of international organization.
5. Other Relevant Skills
- Professionalism – Knowledge of internal security policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to the place of assignment; knowledge of local laws and practices; ability to gather information from a variety of sources; demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given; ability to detect and identify dangerous objects and knowledge of how to deal with such objects; ability to remain calm in an emergency situation; willingness to work shifts; trustworthy; high sense of responsibility; High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment; alertness; physically fit for duty; emotional stability and neatness; good knowledge of the AU, organizational units.
- Planning & Organizing – The ability to achieve goals and objectives and prioritize activities. Monitors and adjusts plans to meet changing requirements and uses time efficiently.
- Communication skills: Ability to relay message effectively verbally as well as in writing, taking into account the context and list/identity of recipients.
- Technology Awareness – Knowledge in the use and maintenance of standard security and communications equipment; basic computer skills; proficiency in standard computer applications, and other software programs.
- Teamwork – Courteous and tactful with the ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
6. Language requirement
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages.
Proficiency of two or more of the other working language(s) would be an added value.
7. Age requirement
Candidates must preferably be not more than 45 years old.
8. Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract shall be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
9. Gender Mainstreaming
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Application letter;
- A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender;
- Names and contact details (including e-mail address) of three references;
- Certified copies of academic and work experience certificates.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 7,821.00 (GSB8 step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements-e.g., education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 3,000.00 per child per annum, maximum 4 children), etc.
12. Period of application
The applications must be received not later than 30 APRIL 2021 at 12.00 PM and should be addressed to:
AU -SAFGRAD Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso P.O. Box 01BP1783 Ouagadougou 01 261, rue de la culture
E-mail: SayahE@africa-union.org or directly at AU SAFGRAD Office, 261; Rue de la culture, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. Tel. +226 78 85 51 22
NB : Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.