The Directorate of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy (SEBE) and Semi Arid Food Grains Research and Development (SAFGRAD) Regional Office of DARBE in collaboration with the Secretariat of the African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) organized a 5-day Planning meeting and Coordination workshop.
The purpose of the workshop was to provide a platform for discussion among the representatives of River and Lake Basin Organizations, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other water for development and sanitation stakeholders in the continent to have work in synergy, complimentarity, defend Africa’s interest and common position in the international fora.
Specifically, the workshop provided the platform to:
- Share knowledge, drawn from different stakeholders, on challenges, experiences and lessons learnt for sustainable management of water resources.
- Review issues of regional cooperation among the Member States through Regional Economic Communities and encourage inter-basin activities
- Discuss the activities of RLBO in resolving conflict in water resources access and share experiences in project implementation
- Promote cooperation and joint projects implementations among L/RBOs and alignment of their activities towards achieving the shared vision of the African water Vision
The mission activities are as indicated below:
- Planning meeting / Engagement with the Secretariat of the African Network of Basin Organization (ANBO) held on 25 October 2021.
- Coordination Workshop for River and Lake Basin Organizations convened from 26 – 27 October 2021 and
- Planning and Follow up Meeting with Permanent Technical Secretariat of ANBO and Coordination Bureau of ANBO organized from 28 – 29 October 2021 to foster partnership and coordination in defending Africa’s interest and priority in the different international water fora.
Ms Olushola Olayide, Dr Mure Agbonlahor, Ms Israel Zerom, Ms Barkha Mossae and Dr Elvis Tangem were the representatives of the AUC.