Consultancy Service Support the promotion of strategic agricultural commodities value chains in IGAD Region
The Semi-Arid Food Grain Research and Development (SAFGRAD) is one of the specialized technical offices of the Commission of the African Union under its Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture. SAFGRAD mandate is to lead, coordinate and facilitate the formulation of appropriate policies and programmes that build resilience of rural livelihoods in semi-arid Africa through strengthening of institutional capacities aimed at advancing agricultural research, technology transfer and adoption; enhancement of value chains; management of natural resources; and mitigation and adaptation to climate change and combating desertification. SAFGRAD vision falls within the Comprehensive Africa Agricultural Development (CAADP) framework which is at the heart of efforts by African governments to accelerate growth and eliminate poverty across the continent.it is within this context that AU-SAFGRAD is going to conduct a study to Support the promotion of strategic agricultural value chains in IGAD Region.
The Commission invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for Consultancy service for AU-SAFGRAD Office in the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture for a a consultant to prepare study on the promotion of strategic agricultural commodities value chains in IGAD Region
Post title: Consultant(s)
Post level: —–
Immediate Supervisor: Coordinator of AU-SAFGRAD
- 2. Major duties and responsibilities (Scope of work)
- To identify and prioritize the staple and cash crops in IGAD Region
- In consultation with SAFGRAD to select the most important strategic commodities to be focused on in the study through the followings:
– to explore the nature of production and the terms and conditions of employment along the selected commodities value chain
– Identify constraints and opportunities to improve market access, raise productivity and wages, and foster pro-poor growth in the required value chains.
- Focus on institutional arrangements that link producers, processors, marketers and distributors while recognizing that power differentials among actors may influence outcomes along the chains.
- Conduct gender analysis while highlighting (the different positions) of men and women across the chain and addressing issues of power reflected in the production and marketing.
- Provide an overview and analysis of existing laws, policies and institutional frameworks related to selected commodities value chains that need to be addressed for this study in IGAD Region
- Highlight specific policy and programme gaps on the development of selected commodities value chains in IGAD Region.
- Provide recommendations and propose policy interventions to achieve policy goals and to develop relevant sector in IGAD Region.
- Find out specific interventions that could be achieved systemic changes throughout the value chains.
- Assess the capacity of producers and their organizations (POs) to access services, credit, information and resources.
- Recommend specific policies to the value chain system for ensure direct linkages of the farmers with the major markets and increased incomes from their produces
- It might be the consultant will be required to visit some selected countries to meet with the relevant experts/institutions there.
- If required, The consultant will present his study to the relevant stakeholder in the workshop organized by AU-SAFGRAD
- The consultant will be responsible to facilitate the above mentioned workshop
- Based on the above mentioned the consultant will finalize his study and submit to AU-SAFGRAD
3. Educational Qualifications:
An advanced University degree (Masters Level or PhD) in agriculture, Science, Agriculture economics, social economics or any development science
4. Work Experience:
The consultant shall have the following minimum qualifications:
- At least 10 years of experience working in the agriculture sector in developing countries
- At least 7 years’ experience with assessing value chains: production, post-harvest handling, processing and marketing of African agriculture products (staple and cash crops) with experience providing hand-on support to small holder farmers and other value chain actors in the area of market and trade development;
- Experience with developing and analyzing budgets for farms and agribusiness
- Proven experience to design and implement programmes that create market opportunities for small holder farmers, small scale processors, and other value chain actors eg NSA;
- Experience in poverty reduction initiatives through livelihood development for rural communities;
5. Other relevant skills
- Computer literacy.
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Conscientious and efficient in observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Takes accountability for goals and challenges.
- Effective and distinct communication ability with excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to defend, explain with tact and diplomacy difficult positions addressing key policy issues.
- Ability to work under pressure and collaboratively with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues
- Track record of excellent time management and ability to meet tight deadlines.
6. Language requirement:
Proficiency in one of AU working languages. Knowledge of other AU working languages would be an added
7.Tenure of Appointment:
The consultancy is planned for a maximum period of 2 months starting from Month, June 2014.
8. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Inception report: The consultant will prepare an inception report including the methodology of delivering the assignment and detailed work plan. The report should also highlight all logistic issues necessary for the exercise. The contents of the inception report will include: background, understanding of the ToRs, work plan and reporting.
Draft evaluation report: the consultant will submit a draft report for review by SAFGRAD team and other key stakeholders within and outside SAFGRAD. The report will be submitted in electronic copy. The contents of the report will include, but not limited to:
- 1.Executive summary, context and introduction and methodology
- Strong analysis and recommendation of the points mentioned in the scope of work
Final evaluation report: After organizing the workshop and receiving comments on the draft report, the consultant will submit a final report including the relevant inputs from SAFGRAD and other stakeholders. Hard copies and an electronic copy of the final report will be submitted by the consultant
The salary attached to the position is a lump-sum of US$ XXX inclusive of all allowances
11. Application: To apply, please submit the following: A detailed and updated CV.
Applications must be received not later than 1st May 2014 and should be addressed to: