VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: MAIL RUNNER FOR AU-SAFGRAD
The African Union Commission’s specialized technical office for the promotion of agricultural research for development in semi-arid Africa (SAFGRAD) has been re-institutionalized in 2003 as one of the technical offices under the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture of the AUC. It is based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
Its mission is to advance agricultural and rural development within the semi-arid zones of Africa. It has the mandate of facilitating the advancement of agricultural research, technology transfer and dissemination for the development of livelihoods in semi-arid zones of Africa. It designs and implements programmes and projects in accordance with this mandate.
AU-SAFGRAD’s important functions include facilitation, coordination, advocacy and networking as part of the regional efforts to move the African agricultural development agenda forward. It enters into strategic partnerships with regional and/or sub-regional and international institutions with a view to collaborating for synchronised efforts and synergy so that noticeable impacts are achieved. AU-SAFGRAD is assisted by a Steering Committee whose members are drawn from Regional Economic Communities, relevant UN agencies, International Agricultural Research Centers, and regional and sub-regional institutions who have stakes in what constitutes its core business.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants for the following position:
Post title: Mail Runner
Post level: GSB6
Duty Station: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Immediate Supervisor: Finance and Administration officer
2. Major duties and responsibilities
- The Mail Runner will ensure that in-coming and out-going mail are received and distributed accordingly;
- Making of photocopies, sending/ receiving of faxes and binding of documents;
- Distributing mail and parcels, including the collection of documents;
- Delivering and collecting equipment and stationery supplies;
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other staff members have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling;
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing;
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas, depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines;
- Search directories to find correct addresses for redirected mail;
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors;
- Open and label mail containers;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
3. Educational Qualifications: Candidates must be holders of BEPC. Additional educational qualification would be an added advantage.
4. Work experience requirement: Candidates must have at least 5 years of appropriate experience. Similar work experience with another international organization will be an added advantage
5. Other relevant skills
- Computer literacy will be added advantage
6. Language requirement: Ability to speak read and write in French. Knowledge of one AU languages would be an added advantage.
7. Age requirement: Candidates must preferably be not more than 45 years old.
8. Tenure of Appointment: The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract shall be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables
9. Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
10. Application: To apply, please submit the following:
- Application letter;
- A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender;
- Names and contact details (including e-mail address) of three references;
- Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
11. Remuneration: Indicative basic salary of US$5,686 (GSB6 step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements-e.g., education allowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$2,520 per child per annum), etc.
12. The applications must be received not later than 29 January 2016, and should be addressed to:
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
P.O. Box 01BP1783 Ouagadougou 01